For the aspiring civil rights lawyer, there is no substitute for litigating pioneering legal theories and gaining trial and deposition experience in high-profile cases. That’s why, since 2001, the Firm has sponsored a two-year fellowship for recent graduates to work in the field of civil rights. Following the death of founding partner Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr., the firm named this fellowship in his memory to honor his dedication and commitment to civil rights while a member of the Firm and throughout his distinguished career. Cochran fellows are integral members of NSB case teams, and work on civil rights cases across the country.
Applications for the fall 2017 fellowship will be accepted between October 1 and November 1, 2016. To apply, please email the following materials to email@example.com:
- a cover letter addressing your interest in litigation and civil rights issues;
- a résumé;
- a law school transcript (official or unofficial);
- one writing sample that is substantially your own, preferably a legal memo or brief;
- three references
To be eligible for the fellowship applicants must be current or former judicial law clerks; only in exceptional cases will the firm consider candidates who have not clerked. Neufeld Scheck & Brustin, LLP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from persons of color.
Former Cochran fellows have gone on to a variety of positions in the field of civil rights, including representing indigent defendants, civil rights plaintiffs, and Guantanamo detainees, as well as clerking for the United State Supreme Court, teaching law and publishing on issues relating to the firm’s work.
- Brandon Garrett (2002-2004)
- Archana Prakash (2003-2005)
- Ramzi Kassem (2004-2006)
- Jennifer Laurin (2005-2007)
- Monica Shah (2006-2008)
- Sarah Crowley (2008-2010)
- Amos Blackman (2009-2011)
- Chloe Cockburn (2010-2012)
- Sonam Henderson (2010-2012)
- Vanessa Buch (2011-2013)
- Aaron Scherzer (2012-2014)
- Alexandra Lampert (2012-2014)
- Danielle Hamilton (2014-2016)
- Jules Torti (2015-2016)